- Optimising Critical Care in the Emerency Department
Summary By: Sara Gray
Is the care you deliver to critically ill patients in your ED the same as the care delivered in your ICU? And if not, why not?
Consider the challenges facing the delivery of excellent care in the ED, and be inspired to make changes at your hospital to improve your system. Learn ten strategies for optimizing the care of critically ill patients in your ED.
1. Learn more about ED-ICU’s at Scott Weingart’s excellent site http://www.emcrit.org
2. Consider a resuscitation fellowship like this one: http://www.resuscitationinstitute.org/index.cfm/education/resuscitation-fellowship1/
3. There are zillions of articles about the benefits of simulation and training, here is a link to just one, if you only want to dip your toe in the water: http://qualitysafety.bmj.com/content/19/Suppl_2/i34.full
4. Audit and feedback around quality outcomes are a potential strategy. Read more about the pros and cons from the World Health Organization here: http://www.euro.who.int/en/data-and-evidence/evidence-informed-policy-making/publications/2010/using-audit-and-feedback-to-health-professionals-to-improve-the-quality-and-safety-of-health-care